The Premier League has, over the years, seen some of the best African players to ever play the beautiful game.
Didier Drogba, Emmanuel Adebayor, Yaya Toure, Yakubu, Michael Essien, Nwankwo Kanu just to name but a few have all left a mark in the English top-flight.
Drogba remains arguably the most successful African player to play in the Premier League, having won four titles and currently leads a number of charts including the top-scorers.
Apart from the above fact, how much do you know about the history of the continent’s stars in the competition?
Facts about African players in the Premier League.
- Peter Ndlovu was the first African to play in the Premier League
- George Weah, who played for Chelsea and Man City, went on to become Liberian President
- Riyad Mahrez has won the Premier League title with more than one club
- Slimani and Mido both scored twice on their Premier League debuts
- Didier Drogba is the top-scoring African in Premier League history, with 104 goals
- The Ivorian has won the most Premier League titles, 4
- Kolo Toure has made more Premier League appearances, 353, than any other African player
- Yakubu is the only African to have scored four goals in a Premier League match on two occasions
- Didier Drogba is the leading African for Premier League assists with 55
- Yakubu is the African player with the most Premier League hat-tricks